It’s not often that supermarket flyers or free magazines provide anything useful. At least, that is the perception. On my last trip to Publix, however, I picked up their free GreenWise Market publication — the avocado issue — and was immediately drawn to this mango, tomato and avocado salad.
I wanted to try it right away but a week went by before I made anything food at home — as I’m sure you’ve noticed from the few recipes I’ve posted — but I finally tried it last night.
The recipe is easy and the salad fresh and tasty. I served it with grilled chicken breast for lunch today. Yup, I actually packed lunch today. It’s almost like a salsa so it’s a good complement to grilled chicken or fish.
As for the Publix magazine, maybe it’s not such a good idea to ignore it, some of its recipes may be worth a try.
Here’s the recipe.
Mango, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 1 medium mango cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbspoons olive oil
- 1 tbspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tbspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 tspoon salt
- 1/4 tspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salad greens (optional)
1. In a medium bowl combine mango, tomato and red onion.
2. For the dressing, combine the cilantro, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a screw-top jar and shake, or in a bowl and mix. Pour dressing on the mango, tomato and onion mixture. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for up to four hours.
3. Mix in the avocado before serving. Serve on bed of greens.
I didn’t have white wine vinegar at hand so I used apple cider vinegar but added a little less than what the recipe calls for. I also forgot the garlic so I used a bit of garlic powder.